LIST 438 – JULY 2014
LONDON ART WEEK
- Friday 4th – Friday 11th July -
‘London Art Week’ combines the previously separate ‘Master Drawings and Sculpture’ and ‘Master Paintings’ Weeks. Fifty commercial galleries will be exhibiting in Mayfair and St James’s. BUT DON’T FORGET those of us to the East.
A South-North walk through Bloomsbury would take in …
Bruegel to Freud: Prints from The Courtauld Gallery (Courtauld Institute)
Peace Breaks Out! London and Paris in the Summer of 1814 (Soane Museum)
The Borbone Album: Giacinto Gigante and his Royal Pupils (Abbott and Holder)
Baselitz and his Generation; Contemporary Japanese Prints (British Museum)
Rainforest; Exhibition and Bedford Square Pavilion (Architectural Association)
Progress: Artists’ responses to Hogarth’s Masterpeice (Foundling Museum)
The Generosity Plates; John Newling (Wellcome Collection)
1. ANON. Circa 1780. British School. Reading the letter. Oil on tin. 10.5x8.5 inches. Framed: 15.5x13 inches. £1,250.
2. ALDRIDGE John R.A. (1905-1983) ‘Tuscany’. Oil on board. Signed. Exh: Phoenix Gallery 1979. 10.5x14 inches. £2,500.
3. ANON. Circa 1840. British School. ‘The Amateurs’. Oil on card. Indistinctly inscribed and ?signed verso. 10x8 inches. Framed: 13.5x11.75 inches. £1,250
INSCRIPTION CLICK HERE
4. ANON. Circle of John Downman A.R.A (1750-1824) The distinctive nose. Oil on canvas. Circa 1790. 12.5x14.5 inches. Framed: 14.5x12.25 inches. £975.
5. ALLINSON Adrian (1890-1959) ‘Before the Sepulchre’. Oil on canvas. Signed and dated, 1944. Exh: National Competition for Religious Art, Central Institute of Art and Design, National Gallery. (Original label). Ex. Coll: Guildford Diocesan Board. 40x30 inches. Framed: 48x38 inches. £4,500.
6. CAWTHORNE Christopher (fl. Mid-20th Century) ‘Jessie Matthews’, the actress. Oil on canvas laid on board. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1947. 16x13 inches. £875.
7. AUMONIER James R.I. (1832-1911) The South Downs. Oil on canvas. Signed. 14x20 inches. Framed: 20x26.5 inches. £1,000
8. COHEN Alfred (1920-2000) ‘Walmer lifeboat’. Oil on board. 1965. Signed. Exh: Brook Street Gallery. 12x15 inches. Framed: 16.5x19.75 inches. £1,500.
9. BLAMEY Norman R.A. (1914-2000) ‘The Model Maker and The Charioteer’. Oil on panel. Signed. Inscribed verso. Exh: Royal Academy, 1990. 28x36 inches. £11,000
10. CONDER Charles N.E.A.C. (1868-1909) Capriccio: Spring and Sea. Oil on panel. Circa 1905. Prov: William Rothenstein; his grand-daughter. 12.75x16 inches. £8,000
11. HUNTER George Sherwood (1846-1919) The beach at Newlyn. Oil on card. Circa 1890. Prov: Christies Studio Sale 18.10.1990. 8x19 inches. Framed: 14.5x25 inches. £1,100.
12. FRY Roger N.E.A.C (1866-1934) French landscape. Oil on panel. Circa 1913. Ex. Coll: Pamela Diamond. 10x13.5 inches. £3,750.
13. JETTEL Eugen (1845-1901) ‘Bei Lovec’ (Lovetsch) Bulgaria. Oil on card. Signed. Inscribed verso. 7x9 inches. Framed: 14x16 inches. £425.
14. MABBUTT Mary (b.1951) Study for ‘Ironing’. Oil on canvas. Signed, inscribed and dated, September 1986 verso. 14x13.75 inches. Framed: 15.25x15.25 inches. £775.
15. McKNIGHT KAUFFER Edward (1890-1954) Mushroom and Bust. Oil on panel. Circa 1934. Ex. Coll: S. A. Garrad, assistant to the artist from 1933-1939. 8.5x10.5 inches. £1,100.
16. NEWCOMBE Peter (b.1943) Village street. Oil on panel. Signed and dated 1978. 12x11 inches. £1,700.
17. POTTER Mary N.E.A.C. L.G. (1900-1981) ‘Dog Rose’. Oil on canvas. 1968. Exh: The New Art Centre. 30x14 inches. Original canvas float frame: 20x36 inches. £12,000.
18. STOTHARD Thomas R.A. (1755-1834) As You Like It; ‘In the Forest of Arden’. Oil on panel. Circa 1825. 15x12 inches. Framed: 20x17 inches. £3,000.
19. TINDLE David R.A. (b.1932) ‘Portrait of Janet’. Oil on panel. Signed and dated, 1966. Exh: Piccadilly Gallery. 9x7 inches. Framed: 17.25x15 inches. £1,250.
20. TURNER William Henry M (fl.1840-1870) A Horse Fair. Oil on canvas. Signed. 9x16 inches. Framed: 11.5x18.5 inches. £2,500.
21. WALTON Stuart (b.1933) ‘Rosebank View’, Leeds. Oil on canvas laid on board. Signed and dated 1973. 14x15 inches. Framed: 16.5x15.5 inches. £875.
GENERAL WATERCOLOURS AND DRAWINGS
22. ARMOUR George Denholm (1864-1949) Keeper and weary novice on 12th August. Pen and ink for Punch August 11th 1926. Inscribed with legend. Signed. 7.5x11 inches. £400.
CLICK HERE FOR LEGEND
23. ARMOUR George Denholm (1864-1949) Keeper having trouble with ‘New Sportsman’. Pen and ink for Punch, 17th August 1921. Inscribed with legend. Signed. 7.5x10.5 inches. £400.
CLICK HERE FOR LEGEND
24. ARMOUR George Denholm (1864-1949) ‘The Guildersteins in the Highlands’. Pen and ink for Punch September 10th 1902. Inscribed with the legend. Signed. 8x11.5 inches. £400.
CLICK HERE FOR LEGEND
27. FRENCH Annie (1872-1965) ‘The Bouquet’.
Pen, brush and ink. Signed. Circa 1900.
28. BUNBURY Henry William (1750-1811) ‘Falstaff at Justice Shallow’s Mustering his Recruits’. Red and black chalks. Possibly Ex. Coll: the Duchess of York. Sold with an impression of the print after Bunbury, engraved by N. Gardiner, publ. by Macklin, 1792. 15x18.5 inches. £1,900.
29. CHATELAIN LE Jean Baptiste (c.1710-c.1758) Castle and landscape. Pencil. Prov: Sabin Gallery 3.75x6.75 inches. £175.
30. BENTLEY Nicolas (1907-1978) ‘Karl Marx’. Pen and ink. Signed. 4.5x5.5 inches. £275.
31. EVANS Powys (‘Quiz’) (1899-1981) Sir John Collings Squire (1884-1958), poet and editor. Pen and ink. Circa 1925. Signed ‘Quiz’. 13x9 inches. £375.
32. EMSLIE Albert Edward (1848-1918) ‘Awakening’. Watercolour. Signed. 25x13.5 inches. £1,500.
33. SUDANESE School. Hussein GAMAN. 1980. Exotic Foliage. Scraperboard and Indian ink. Signed ‘Gaman’ and dated 1980. The artist graduated from the Khartoum College of Art in 1966 and was a British Council postgraduate student at the RCA under Prof Richard Guyatt to whom this was part of a retirement gift in 1981. 7x5 inches. £150.
34. FAIR and MYER (George Val Myer 1883-1959 and John W. Fair) Arts and Crafts design for a billiard room, possibly in Gidea Park, Essex. Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1908. 8x15 inches. £975.
35. FORSYTH Gordon Mitchell R.C.A. (1879-1952) The King in Procession. Pencil, watercolour and gouache. Circa 1900. £250.
36. CORBOULD Alfred Chantrey (d.1920) A London traffic jam. Pen and ink. Possibly for ‘Punch’. Circa 1885. Signed. 7x10.75 inches. £250.
37. HARPIGNIES Henri (1819-1916) Paysage au torrent. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1901. 3.75x6 inches. Framed: 9.75x11.75 inches. £450.
38. GIRTIN Thomas (1775-1802) Ruined tower. Brush, watercolour and ink. Circa 1800. 3x2.75 inches. £875.
39. GILPIN William (1724-1804) Capriccio. Pen, brush and monochrome washes. Inscribed in an 18th century had ‘Landscape by Gainsborough’ on the original mount. 10.5x14.25 inches. £1,750.
40. HARRISON Claude R.P. (1922-2009) ‘Mr Banwell’. Pen, ink and watercolour. Signed, inscribed and date, 1951. 14x10.75 inches. £375.
41. HARDY Dudley (1867-1922) Frenchman ‘At the Zoo’. Ink and pencil. Legend verso. Signed and dated (?06). 13.5x9.5 inches. £325.
CLICK FOR LEGEND
42. HILLS Robert O.W.S. (1769-1844) Donkey and foal. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1809. 14.75x11 inches. £575.
43. HAVELL William O.W.S. (1782-1857) River at dusk. Circa 1810. 13x19 inches. £875.
44. INAMURA Professor (Japanese Mid-20th century) ‘Mount Fuji’. Brush and ink. Signed and inscribed. Prov: the studio potter Henry Hammond. 15x17 inches. £225.
45. IHLEE Rudolph (1883-1968) Confrontation at table. Ink, watercolour and pastel. Circa 1908. 8.25x9.75 inches. £400.
46. LEROY Sebastian (1770-1832) Going to market. Pen, brush and sepia ink. Signed. 2x1.5 inches. £150.
47. KRAMER Jacob (1892-1962) Study of a Slade student. Chalks. Signed and dated, 1914. 15x11 inches. £775.
48. KERR-LAWSON James (1865-1939) ‘Caterina’, the artist’s wife. Black and white chalks on tan paper. 10x8.25 inches. £225.
49. MAYOR-MARTON George (1897-1960) The Carousel. Pen and ink. Circa 1935. Exh: Victor Waddington Gallery, Dublin; ‘Georg Mayer-Marton’, John Denham Gallery, 1994. £475.
50. LOUTHERBOURG Philip James De (1740-1812) Fishing boats ashore. Pen, brush and ink. Ex. Coll: Heseltine; J. D. K. Lloyd, 1936). 3x4.75 inches. £1,000.
51. PARSONS Alfred R.A. P.R.W.S (1847-1920) ‘At the Metropolitan’ – probably the Metropolitan Music Hall , Edgware Road. Pen and ink. Circa 1895. Prov: one of Parson's sketchbook with Abbott and Holder. 5.25x4.25 inches. £225.
52. MENPES Mortimer (1860-1938) Portrait of Field Marshall the Rt. Hon. Garnet Joseph, Viscount Wolseley, K.P. G.C.B. O.M. G.C.M.G. (1833-1913) Pencil and charcoal. Circa 1903. Signed. 31x22 inches. £3,750.
53. PLESSIS Enslin du (1894-1978) ‘Still-life’. Pencil and watercolour. Signed. Exhibited: Johannesburg Art Gallery. 10.5x12 inches. £475.
54. PRIETO MUNOZ Gregorio (1897-1992) Portrait of an Officer. Pencil. Signed and dated 1945. 25.75x19.75 inches. £775.
55. ROWLANDSON Thomas (1756-1827) A family meal. Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1806. 6x9 inches. £9,750.
56. STRUBE Sidney (1891-1956) The ‘Little Man’ encumbered by post-WWI debt. Ink and crayon. Signed and inscribed. 12x19.5 inches. £475.
57. SEVERN Arthur R.I. R.O.I. (1842-1931) ‘A Day of Hope’. Watercolour. Signed. 8.5x15 inches. £2,750.
58. WULFING Sulamith (1901-1989) The Frog King. Pencil, watercolour, gouache and ink. Signed and dated, 1938. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1939 on the original mount. 4.75x5 inches. £600.
59. STRANG William R.A. (1859-1921) Head of a child. Pencil, pen and ink with some gouache. Circa 1895. Prov: Laurence Hodson and by descent. 7x5 inches. £575.
60. SCHWABE Randolph N.E.A.C. L.G. (1885-1948) Figure study. Charcoal and white chalks. Signed. 13x7.25 inches. £675.
61. TAYLOR Charles Jnr (c.1840-1871) Sail and Steam. Watercolour and gouache. Circa 1850. 10x29 inches. £1,100.
62. YARROW-JONES Ernest (1872-1951) Landscape, possibly near Bormes les Mimosa. Watercolour. Circa 1925. Provenance: Yvonne Yarrow-Jones (1907-1992) 10x14 inches. Framed: 19.5x23 inches. £375.
63. KOHLSCHEIN Hans (1879-1948) A Prussian march past. Pencil, ink and gouache. Inscribed with German verso. Signed and dated, 1898’. Mounted on a backing decorated in pen and ink. 9x18.5 inches. £575.
WATERCOLOURS AND DRAWINGS OF PARTICULAR PLACES
64. CAMERON Sir David Young R.A. R.W.S. (1865-1945) ‘Bailleul’ after the shelling in July 1917. Charcoal and watercolour. Signed and inscribed. 7.5x14.5 inches. Framed: 15.5x21.75 inches. £1,400.
65. ARCHER Frank R.W.S. (1912-1995) ‘Sulhay Forest’, Northamptonshire. Ink, watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1942. 10.75x15 inches. Famed: 18.5x22.5 inches. £675.
66. CRICHTON-STUART Lady James (Hannah Tighe 1800-1872) Worcestershire. ‘English Cottage, Malvern’. Watercolour. Inscribed on the original backing. Prov: a direct descendant. 10x14 inches. £225.
67. CRICHTON-STUART Lady James (Hannah Tighe 1800-1872) Worcestershire. ‘Holly Mount, Malvern’. Watercolour. Inscribed on the original backing. Prov: a direct descendant. 10x13 inches. £250.
68. CRICHTON-STUART Lady James (Hannah Tighe 1800-1872) Worcestershire. ‘Malvern Church and hills’. Watercolour. Inscribed on the original backing. Prov: a direct descendant. 10x14 inches. £300.
69. CRICHTON-STUART Lady James (Hannah Tighe 1800-1872) Worcestershire. ‘Malvern Church’. Watercolour. Inscribed on the original backing. Prov: a direct descendant. 10x14 inches. £300.
70. CHRICHTON-STUART Lady James (Hannah Tighe 1800-1872) Worcestershire. ‘Hewell Grange’. Watercolour. Circa 1840. Inscribed on the original backing. Prov: a direct descendant. 10x14 inches. £450.
71. CRICHTON-STUART Lady James (Hannah Tighe 1800-1872) Kent. ‘Earls Court, Tunbridge Wells’ Watercolour. Inscribed on the original backing. Prov: a direct descendant. 7x10 inches. £250.
72. CRICHTON-STUART Lady James (Hannah Tighe (1800-1872) Kent. ‘House on Common, Tunbridge Wells’. Watercolour. Inscribed on the original backing. Prov: a direct descendant. 10x14 inches. £250.
73. CRICHTON-STUART Lady James (Hannah Tighe 1800-1872) Ireland. Woodstock, ‘Co.Kilkenny, Inistioge Bridge’. Watercolour. Inscribed on the original backing. Prov: a direct descendant. 9.5x13.5 inches. £600.
74. CRICHTON-STUART Lady James (Hannah Tighe 1800-1872) Ireland. Woodstock, ‘Co.Kilkenny, Lower Road’. Watercolour. Inscribed on the original backing. Prov: a direct descendant. 10x14 inches. £600.
75. CRICHTON-STUART Lady James (Hannah Tighe 1800-1872) ‘Singleton near Swansea’. Watercolour. Inscribed on the original backing. Prov: a direct descendant. 10x14.5 inches. £450.
76. CRISTALL Joshua P.O.W.S. (1767-1847) Sussex. Hastings Beach. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1808. 8x14.5 inches. £2,750.
77. COWLES Fleur (1908-2009) Connecticut clapboards. Watercolour and gouache. Circa 1944. Exh: Associated American Artists, 711 Fifth Avenue. 19.5x24.5 inches. £475.
78. BRIGHT Henry (1810-1873) Wales. ‘Head of Bala Lake looking towards Llangower’. Charcoal. Signed, inscribed and dated, July 29 ‘43’. 6.25x14.5 inches. £300.
79. DELAUNAY Pierre (1870-1915) ‘Viterbo, Palazzo Vescovile’. Watercolour. Inscribed by the artist and dated ‘20th Mai 1904’. Ex. Coll: Joseph McCrindle. £225..
80. GROSE Francis (1731-1791) Isle of Wight. ‘Carisbroke Castle’ (sic). Ink and watercolour. Inscribed and dated verso, April 17th 1761. 4.5x13 inches. £250.
81. HERALD James Watterson (1859-1914) ‘Sunshine and showers’. Watercolour. Signed and dated 1892. 10x11 inches. £2,500.
82. ITALY (subject) ‘C.J.M.’. Circa 1820. ‘Salerno’. Pen, brush and ink. Signed with initials and inscribed on the backing. 5.75x4 inches. £125.
83. KELLY Samuel Edward (1862-1935) Devon. Babbacombe Bay. Watercolour. Signed. 10x14.5 inches. Framed: 17.5x21.5 inches. £375.
84. JOHNSON Harry John R.I. (1826-1884) ‘Tasso’s Oak, St Onofrio Monastery, Rome’. Pencil. Inscribed. Studio stamp. 10x6.75 inches. £150.
85. LESSORE Jules (1849-1892) ‘The Seine at Pontoise’. Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1873. 9x11 inches. Framed 17x19 inches. £675.
86. LESSORE Jules (1849-1892) ‘Greenwich’. Watercolour. Signed. 6x14 inches. £675.
87. LANDERSET Joseph de (1753-1824) Switzerland. ‘Vue de la vallee et du lac de Lowertz apres leboulement d’une partie de Rossberg, Canton de Schwitz’. Gouache. Signed and dated 1808. Inscribed thus verso. The natural disaster had occurred on 2nd September 1806. 18x24.5 inches. Framed: 27x33 inches. £3,250.
88. LUCAS Samuel (1805-1870) Steam packet ‘Rouen’. 1855. Newhaven to Dieppe’ Watercolour (faded). Thus inscribed verso. Exh: Walker’s Galleries. The Brighton and Continental Steam Packet Company ran steam packets on this route from 1845-1856. 8x16.75 inches. £375.
89. MCEVOY Ambrose N.E.A.C. (1878-1927) ‘Rushbrooke Interior’; Rushbrooke Hall, Suffolk. Ink and watercolour. Studio stamp. 14x10 inches. Framed: 21.5x17.5 inches. £1,400.
90. MILNE Malcolm N.E.A.C. (1987-1954) ‘Near Malvern’. Watercolour. Exh: Agnews (N.39275) 9.5x15.75 inches. £250.
91. MULLER William (1812-1845) ‘Memnon, Egypt’. Pencil. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1839. 9.75x15.75 inches. £300.
92. NIXON John (1755-1818) ‘A Fruit Girl on the Steine, Brighthelmstone’. Ink and watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1791. Prov: The French Hospital, Rochester. 7.5x5 inches. £600.
93. PEARCE Charles Maresco N.E.A.C. (1874-1964) Dieppe, the Place Moulin a Vent. Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1909. 10.75x14.75 inches. Framed: 19x22.5 inches. £775.
94. SMITH Thomas (fl.1780-1822) ‘Front view of the Convent of Vallombrosa, 18 miles east of Florence…’. Pencil and watercolour. 9x13.5 inches. Framed: 17.5x20.75 inches. £375.
95. SANDBY Paul R.A. (1731-1809) ‘Carnarvon Castle’. Ink and watercolour. Circa 1775. 13.75x21 inches. £10,500.
96. COX David O.W.S. (1783-1859) Worcestershire: The ruined Keep of Kenilworth Castle. Watercolour. Circa 1835. Exh: Agnews. 7x10 inches. Framed: 16x18 inches. £3,250.
97. SUNDERLAND Thomas (1743-1823) Lancashire landscape. Pencil and watercolour. Inscribed ‘nr (?)Darsbrough’. Dated verso ‘9 June 1813’. 7x10.5 inches. £225.
98. WESSELOW Simpkinson de (1819-1906) Six pastel studies of dawn and dusk 1860-1874.
CLICK TO VIEW
99. WARD John C.B.E. (1917-2007) ‘Urbino’. Pencil and watercolour on blue/grey paper. Signed and inscribed. 7.75x11.25 inches. Framed: 15.5x18.5 inches. £500.
100. WERNER Carl (1808-1894) The Old Courtyard, Venice. Watercolour and gouache. Inscribed. 23x16.5 inches. £1,300.
101. THURLOE Edward Hovell (1835-1925) Himalayas. ‘In the Forest of Narkunda’. Watercolour and gouache. Inscribed and dated, October 1866, on the backing. Prov: an album of the artist’s work with Abbott and Holder. 9.5x6 inches. £150.
102. WHITE Ethelbert N.E.A.C. (1891-1972) ‘The Lost Donkey, Mabella (sic), Malaga’. Pencil and watercolour. Signed and inscribed. 11x9 inches. £375.
Our Lists are published here on the first Wednesday of every month. They introduce at least 100 works to the large stock of oil paintings, watercolours, drawings and prints, arranged over three floors at our Museum Street building.
Nothing is sold from the List before 9.30am on the Wednesday it is published. Those of you who are on the doorstep get first go at the new stock, and while we try to keep telephone and email enquiries in strict order of receipt, there will be times when technological overlaps muddy the system.
Images: These are only intended as an indication of the work – please telephone or email if you have any questions about the photograph’s relationship to the original. We reserve pictures for 24 hours while they are being considered. For larger images or to make reservations email email@example.com
Attributions: are fully guaranteed; don’t hesitate to question us about them. Money back AND a box of Black Magic should you buy something and discover we are wrong.